Skip to main content

Spring in My Step


I know blogs are soooo 10 years ago, but I still find this to be a good way to write and share some of what our family is up to. I like looking back on the pictures and stories and reminiscing, even if nobody else is reading this. I know somebody will read it eventually and appreciate my preservation of memories. 

We had a rough February with a lot of sickness.
I can't even say which kid had the worst of it, because all four of the youngest were tortured on and off for a month.

Each time somebody would pull through five days of high fever or something, I would get excited and think, "we are through it!"  And then a couple of days later, that person would be sick again--or maybe was never really better.  For example, I had Andrew and Sean home from school one day. They were feeling better after a long stretch of sickness (but not well enough to be at school yet), so they helped me make brownies.


An hour later . . . 
It was such a delight when Gavin was feeling well enough to give us a few smiles. 
It is spring break next week, and we are all very excited about the warmer weather we have already had.  Honestly, our winter this year was pretty wimpy.  But spring is still spectacular and every year it comes bringing excitement and hope---and disappearing children. 
Brooklyn found out that she knows how to unlock the front door and go on a walk all by herself.  She also enjoys taking Gavin along if I happen to have him outside.

Comments

Chelsey said…
I don't care if blogging is outdated. I still like catching up on yours...even if I am the only one reading it.
Olga said…
Bonnie, I love your blog. Whenever I keep up with my blog and reading friends' blogs, I feel like I am slowing down enough to enjoy life. I love how well you document your life. Keep it up!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Back To School Meanies

 Letter From the Nest August 15, 2025 https://open.substack.com/pub/lettersfromthenest/p/back-to-school?r=48qui&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web One August, more than twenty years ago, at an evening book club discussion, my “older” friends (now I look back and know those women were the age I am now), were discussing the woes and triumphs of back-to-school season. One woman was anticipating her youngest child’s senior year of high school. She said, “For more than two decades, our lives have revolved around the school district’s academic calendar. I don’t know how I will plan my life without knowing about school breaks or holidays.” I remember her bittersweet tone as she anticipated freedom from school schedule constraints but also mourned how those constraints guided her choices. What would she do? Other women joined the discussion, wondering if their kids would have good teachers, if they’d be able to balance volunteering in the classroom, how to streamline school supply pu...

My Legacy Stinks

 Letters from the Nest https://lettersfromthenest.substack.com/p/my-legacy-stinks Lately, I have been asking you, “What will you do to make Sunday special?” This is me encouraging you in your worship without giving you a prescribed list of things to do. One thing I do differently on Sundays is that I read a Sunday book that’s “different” than the fiction I read during the week. Usually, it’s a religious book, but sometimes it’s an inspiring biography or narrative nonfiction with an uplifting theme. My Sunday book for the past few months has been “Both Things Are True,” by Kate Holbrook. This collection of essays explores a range of topics, including faith, forgiveness, women’s roles, trials, history, and more. Each chapter contains a dichotomy that fuels the discussion. For example, the chapter on forgiveness explores both the concepts of forgetting and remembering. Last Sunday, I began reading the chapter entitled "The Weight of Legacy," in which she discusses the dichotomy ...

Lyme Disease??

Let me just preface this by saying that I am soooo grateful for good health insurance. I have been to the Dr. for the kids lately so often, that I am embarrassed that they recognize our family when we walk in the door. So, here's Ricky's story. A couple of weeks ago he was extremely sick. He had a fever for over a week, complained that he couldn't move his legs, and ended up with an awful looking rash all over his body. We went to the Dr. 2 times for this. The first time, she said, it was a virus and it should run its course. When Ricky was getting worse, instead of better, we took him back in to a quick clinic where the nurse diagnosed him with strep (even though the short test was negative). Well, after a priesthood blessing and antibiotics (which we discovered later that he didn't even need to take--and in fact they may have made him feel worse), he got better. Then, last week, I discovered a new, crazy rash on his legs which continued to grow, turn purple on the in...