Skip to main content

Rug pijne, niet achter pijne!


Hello readers of my email! I hope all is great with you guys. This week was a roller coaster x2! Some things that happened:

-A guy brandished his machete at me! I was so scared man. I think he was just joking, but ya never know. I've never pedaled my little bike faster! 

-I made a pretty hilarious Dutch mistake. One of our amazing investigators, Mike, hurt his back and has been having "rug pijne" which is back pain. I prayed for his "achter pijne" which is bum pain...oops haha. Heavenly Father was laughing pretty hard at that one. Also Mike is definitely, actually getting married on the 20th and baptized on the 23rd *everyone give it up for MIIIIIKE* so that's awesome.

-I contacted someone biking next to them from work all the way to their house (he was on a bike too). Can't try to bike away from Zuster Mergenthaler! Haha, don't worry, he was totally chill with it. Was it against traffic laws? Definitely...if there were traffic laws in Suriname. Good thing we're clear there ;) But he's super chill and his name is Rodney.

-Caught our investigator Izaak spray painting the bridge we go over everyday. We couldn't even get mad at him because he was spray painting bible verses haha. 

-Learned the hard way that I'm allergic to coconut water. My belly just swells up a little and I look like I enjoy Roti a little too much. Here people just go to a nearby coconut tree, hack one off with their machete, and stick a straw in it for a little refreshment. It's the best.

-Talked to a Nederlander. WOW, they speak so fast. Holy cow. Ya'll in Nederland are geniuses and I'm so glad I'm here in Suriname with the rustig Dutch speakers. Also, his accent was so cool. I kinda wanted to follow him around all day to listen. 

We had so many miracle lessons, but I really want to share about Randy. He's an investigator from months ago that we just recently came into contact with again. He works in the Boutenland, so he's never home, but he's an awesome guy with a really sincere desire to learn more. We went to teach him about the Book of Mormon on Monday night. It was 8 oclock, so it was kinda dark because we were outside sitting on the hood of his car. We described to him what the Book of Mormon is and read 3 Ne 11 together. As we were reading, a visible light filled the space we were in. It was amazing. His dad rode up halfway through the chapter on his bromfiets, but Randy just kept reading. His dad quietly sat on his bromfiets, bowed his head, and listened without saying a word. He could sense how sacred the atmosphere was without even knowing what we were doing. I can't adequately describe the feeling that night; I can only testify that the Book of Mormon is absolutely the word of God. I will never again take this precious book for granted. There is an amazing power that flows into our lives when we read it regularly. I encourage each of you to take the time to read in the Book of Mormon every single day! 

I hope you all have an amazing week without "achter pijne" ! I love you guys and appreciate all your support. Feelin' the love man!

Zuster Mergenthaler


Pic 1: Zuster Orchard being adorable. We went to the ONLY Burger King in Suriname on P-day and it was AMAZING. I think it will remain one of my best mission memories, no joke.
Pic 2: Justin and his birdies. They have funny names, but I can't remember them.
Pic 3: The bridge Izaak "decorated"
Pic 4: Chobby getting a coconut for us.
Pic 5:Chobby's cutie patootie kid.
Pic 6:Sweaty selfie so you know I'm still alive! Not sure why my camera makes me look so pale.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back To School Meanies

 Letter From the Nest August 15, 2025 https://open.substack.com/pub/lettersfromthenest/p/back-to-school?r=48qui&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web One August, more than twenty years ago, at an evening book club discussion, my “older” friends (now I look back and know those women were the age I am now), were discussing the woes and triumphs of back-to-school season. One woman was anticipating her youngest child’s senior year of high school. She said, “For more than two decades, our lives have revolved around the school district’s academic calendar. I don’t know how I will plan my life without knowing about school breaks or holidays.” I remember her bittersweet tone as she anticipated freedom from school schedule constraints but also mourned how those constraints guided her choices. What would she do? Other women joined the discussion, wondering if their kids would have good teachers, if they’d be able to balance volunteering in the classroom, how to streamline school supply pu...

My Legacy Stinks

 Letters from the Nest https://lettersfromthenest.substack.com/p/my-legacy-stinks Lately, I have been asking you, “What will you do to make Sunday special?” This is me encouraging you in your worship without giving you a prescribed list of things to do. One thing I do differently on Sundays is that I read a Sunday book that’s “different” than the fiction I read during the week. Usually, it’s a religious book, but sometimes it’s an inspiring biography or narrative nonfiction with an uplifting theme. My Sunday book for the past few months has been “Both Things Are True,” by Kate Holbrook. This collection of essays explores a range of topics, including faith, forgiveness, women’s roles, trials, history, and more. Each chapter contains a dichotomy that fuels the discussion. For example, the chapter on forgiveness explores both the concepts of forgetting and remembering. Last Sunday, I began reading the chapter entitled "The Weight of Legacy," in which she discusses the dichotomy ...

Lyme Disease??

Let me just preface this by saying that I am soooo grateful for good health insurance. I have been to the Dr. for the kids lately so often, that I am embarrassed that they recognize our family when we walk in the door. So, here's Ricky's story. A couple of weeks ago he was extremely sick. He had a fever for over a week, complained that he couldn't move his legs, and ended up with an awful looking rash all over his body. We went to the Dr. 2 times for this. The first time, she said, it was a virus and it should run its course. When Ricky was getting worse, instead of better, we took him back in to a quick clinic where the nurse diagnosed him with strep (even though the short test was negative). Well, after a priesthood blessing and antibiotics (which we discovered later that he didn't even need to take--and in fact they may have made him feel worse), he got better. Then, last week, I discovered a new, crazy rash on his legs which continued to grow, turn purple on the in...