Skip to main content

My Top 20 Books of 2022

I have always enjoyed reading. Of course, my reading habits have changed over time--less during my high school, college, and baby-raising years, but I never really stopped. I didn't keep a record of what I read until about ten years ago. This record has come in handy when acquaintances are discussing a book that sounds familiar. I have read so much that sometimes I get storylines mixed up. With a record, I can go back through my Goodreads account and see when I read the book and what I thought. It's also helpful when friends ask for recommendations. Lately, much of my reading is in audiobook form, which, with driving kids here and there and doing laundry and dishes, allows me to get through a decent number of books. I barely made my goal of 100 books this year, with some short stories and non-fiction works thrown in at the end.



The following 20 books received a 5-star review from me on Goodreads:

Cinders and Sparrows by Stefan Bachmann

I'm recommending this to all my friends who love the Wundersmith and Lockwood and Co. series. This stand-alone (I think?)a lovely cross between the two. There's magic AND ghosts and excellent storytelling.



The Choice by Edith Eger

This is an excellent meld between memoir and self-help. I hesitate to call it self-help, but the principles of psychology discussed through the lens of Dr. Eger's personal journey are so helpful and inspiring. I'd love to listen to this incredible woman speak in person.


All the Truth That's in Me by Julie Berry

I am a loyal Julie Berry fan. I have read almost all of her books and have learned so much about voice, pacing, story structure, and beautiful prose. I like to compare her earlier works to later works to see real growth in perfecting the craft of writing. But I did not want to read this one. Why? Because I skimmed the Goodreads synopsis and glanced at the cover and thought the novel was about vampires or rape or both. Every time the book floated to the top of my TBR stack, I'd send it back to the bottom. I'd say, "I know the writing will be great. I'll probably even like the book, but I'm just not up for vampires right now." Once I finally started in, I realized how silly my assumptions were. Don't judge a book by its cover!! I should have read it a long time ago--especially since it setting is much like a book I'm working on. Well, done Ms. Berry. I loved it. Am I the first to regrettably misunderstand the cover and synopsis?



Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

I read The Glass Castle years ago and loved it. I like Jeannette Walls' writing style and voice. I like how she strings stories together and foreshadows just the right amount. When I read family history memoirs, I'm always reminded of the importance of writing stories down. I'm inspired to write my own for my children and grandchildren. Maybe one of them will take my stories and turn them into something spectacular like Jeannette has done with her grandmother's stories.


Share Your Stuff. I'll Go First by Laura Tremaine

I borrowed the audiobook from the library, but I think I'd like to purchase a hard copy to refer back to. (**Update, I bought a copy) Not only is it an entertaining memoir, but it also sparks a desire to contemplate and share some of the most important parts of my own life. The follow-up questions at the end of each chapter inspire deep retrospection. I'd love to ask these questions of my family and friends and share some of what I learned about myself too.



Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer

This is a super-fun seafaring story of an orphan girl posing as a ship's boy and the grand adventures she has.






Wink by Rob Harrell

I like books about middle schoolers that show the main character is not all good and not all bad. The characters in this book felt real. They said and did stupid things but also experienced moments of growth and maturity. The story didn't feel molded to make a point. Instead, it felt like a genuine teenage experience. 




The Velvet Fox by Catherine Fisher

This is a quite enjoyable sequel from the Clockwork Crow series.







The Gift: 12 Lessons to Save Your Life by Edith Eger

Dr. Eger is both straightforward and compassionate. She can empathize and inspire while not allowing for excuses. This book is worth rereading.





I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys

I thought I was familiar with past and current communist regimes, but I missed learning about Romania. This is a well-told historical fiction that brings to light the suffering of people oppressed by selfish dictators. The characters are well-done. There's a good mix of mystery, intrigue, history, and romance. Though I knew very little about this history, I can tell the content was thoughtfully and carefully researched.


Poisoned by Jennifer Donnelly

This is an excellent, inspiring Snow White retelling. Sometimes when a story's theme is too obvious, it can be annoying, but in this case, it fits the tone of the story, and the symbolism worked. I was a little confused by the narrator. It seemed like a tool to get me into the story but didn't follow through consistently throughout the book.




Butterfly Yellow by Thanhha Lai

Listen to the audiobook! It's so good, especially if you don't speak or read Vietnamese. I have read another book by this author, Listen Slowly, and I wonder if the main character in this book is the same as the main character's grandmother in the other. This story provides a unique take on refugees. It doesn't shy away from trauma or hardship, but there is a balance of hope and peace. Thanhha Lai's characters are genuinely fun to read. Their thoughts are genuine. Their actions and reactions feel organic. The whole novel is beautifully crafted.



The Color of Water by James McBride

My mother-in-law recommended this to me years ago. When my daughter read it and told me how good it was, I had no more excuses. I'm glad I didn't put it off. I love this story of faith, kindness, and perseverance.




The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

The Invention of Wings is an excellent historical fiction that weaves together the story of a slave and her family with a slave owner turned abolitionist. The adjustments to history for the story's sake felt natural and enhanced the narrative, except for the ABC song, which felt out of place for me. The themes of living with integrity and dignity while finding one's place and purpose in the world and the shifting relationship between Hetty and Sarah were insightful and organic.


Anxiety Relief for Teens by Regine Galanti

This is a helpful, easy-to-reference handbook for anybody who deals with any form of anxiety. It describes symptoms and provides strategies for managing symptoms in the short term and long term. I'm adding this to my mental wellness library.




Willpower Doesn't Work by Benjamin P. Hardy

This book is going to go on my shelf right next to Atomic Habits by James Clear, as I find the texts companionable in both their pacing and tone. Do you want to reach goals that seem unattainable with your current behavior? Make a change. Stop trying to push through. The same environment and the same effort will yield the same results. Check out some helpful tips from Benjamin Hardy. Believe you can change and use the strategies from this book to make those changes a part of your everyday growth.



Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield

Once Upon a River is a magical, moving, and mysterious story. The omniscient point of view is executed masterfully so that I felt that I was experiencing the story both intimately and distantly. The ending is satisfying, but not too perfect. I found myself thinking about the characters and stories and what it all might have meant for weeks after reading the final page.



Recitatif by Toni Morrison

Half of this was an analytical essay which I kind of wish I hadn’t read until after reading the short story. Still, it’s a work of art. I’m going to be thinking about it for quite some time.





The House With Chicken Legs by Sophie Anderson

The journey of my copy of this book went like this: my brother's friend, my brother, my mom, me, and now my kids. It's a delightful story. I want to read more from this author.







No-Drama Discipline by Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson

Do you want to be a better parent, teacher, grandparent, coach? Do you wonder how to reach that kid who seems completely on the fringe? Do you want to strengthen relationships? Read this.




What will 2023 bring? I have a goal to read at least 100 more books. I just finished the first in the series called The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman and loved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back To School Meanies

 Letter From the Nest August 15, 2025 https://open.substack.com/pub/lettersfromthenest/p/back-to-school?r=48qui&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web One August, more than twenty years ago, at an evening book club discussion, my “older” friends (now I look back and know those women were the age I am now), were discussing the woes and triumphs of back-to-school season. One woman was anticipating her youngest child’s senior year of high school. She said, “For more than two decades, our lives have revolved around the school district’s academic calendar. I don’t know how I will plan my life without knowing about school breaks or holidays.” I remember her bittersweet tone as she anticipated freedom from school schedule constraints but also mourned how those constraints guided her choices. What would she do? Other women joined the discussion, wondering if their kids would have good teachers, if they’d be able to balance volunteering in the classroom, how to streamline school supply pu...

My Legacy Stinks

 Letters from the Nest https://lettersfromthenest.substack.com/p/my-legacy-stinks Lately, I have been asking you, “What will you do to make Sunday special?” This is me encouraging you in your worship without giving you a prescribed list of things to do. One thing I do differently on Sundays is that I read a Sunday book that’s “different” than the fiction I read during the week. Usually, it’s a religious book, but sometimes it’s an inspiring biography or narrative nonfiction with an uplifting theme. My Sunday book for the past few months has been “Both Things Are True,” by Kate Holbrook. This collection of essays explores a range of topics, including faith, forgiveness, women’s roles, trials, history, and more. Each chapter contains a dichotomy that fuels the discussion. For example, the chapter on forgiveness explores both the concepts of forgetting and remembering. Last Sunday, I began reading the chapter entitled "The Weight of Legacy," in which she discusses the dichotomy ...

Lyme Disease??

Let me just preface this by saying that I am soooo grateful for good health insurance. I have been to the Dr. for the kids lately so often, that I am embarrassed that they recognize our family when we walk in the door. So, here's Ricky's story. A couple of weeks ago he was extremely sick. He had a fever for over a week, complained that he couldn't move his legs, and ended up with an awful looking rash all over his body. We went to the Dr. 2 times for this. The first time, she said, it was a virus and it should run its course. When Ricky was getting worse, instead of better, we took him back in to a quick clinic where the nurse diagnosed him with strep (even though the short test was negative). Well, after a priesthood blessing and antibiotics (which we discovered later that he didn't even need to take--and in fact they may have made him feel worse), he got better. Then, last week, I discovered a new, crazy rash on his legs which continued to grow, turn purple on the in...