Skip to main content

I'm Trying to See Like Jesus

 Letters From the Nest, October 18, 2024

https://lettersfromthenest.substack.com/p/im-trying-to-see-like-jesus

    Fiddlesticks. I can’t remember if I have already written about this thing I’m thinking about today. I guess it’s okay if I write about it more than once. I say the same things repeatedly, don’t I? Might as well write them too. That way, when I’m long gone, and you’re all sitting around telling stories about me because I know you will, and somebody gets something wrong, because I know you will, one of you can say, “We don’t have to argue about this. She wrote about it right here!”  Disclaimer #1: Just because I write about something doesn’t mean my opinion won’t evolve with time and experience. Disclaimer #2: Just because I write about my core beliefs on acting/reacting/living a certain way doesn’t mean you’ll always observe a perfect replication of the righteous sentiment in my daily behavior. Like you, I get mad, tired, and hungry, and my best behavior slips.

    Okay, so the thing on my mind that I’m wondering if I have ever written about is careful observation. It’s not just about observation but also awareness and curiosity about the lenses through which we make important observations. I’m also thinking about how our filtered observations lead us to make certain conclusions, which lead us to take certain actions or behave a certain way. Are you following me? It’s cognitive-behavioral stuff. I’m studying psychology right now, so this is on my mind. (No nerdy pun intended.)


    I know I have written about the phrase, “observe, then serve.” You’ve also heard Dad and me say it multiple times, like when you get the “three nice things” consequence for treating your sibling badly. These “nice things” are supposed to be acts of thoughtful service you provide for somebody in the family you are not treating well. Sometimes, you’re so annoyed or angry at that person that you don’t even want to think about ways to serve them. We don’t want to give you an easy out by telling you all the ways you can be kind to your sibling, so when you say, “What should I do?” We say, “Observe, then serve.” All of you have had some practice with that particular idea in action.

Another popular phrase you have heard is, “What would Jesus do?” This phrase is not common in our family. Still, I think about it sometimes, especially when my blood pressure rises in response to chaos, frustration, inaccurate accusations, or hurtful words. What would Jesus do? It’s easy to figure out what He would do but difficult to mirror His behavior.


    Does it help to shift the question from “What would Jesus do?” to “What would Jesus see? Have I written about this? We might think we are behaving like Him, but we could miss the mark if we’re not seeing as He does. Emotions cloud truth, but using the “Jesus lens” might shift our perspective enough to help us avoid making erroneous conclusions and doing something we might regret. If we see as He sees, we can act as He would.


    Jesus sees truth. He sees potential. He makes perfect conclusions based on accurate information. His behavior is completely integrity-based.


    It seems like a lot to live up to, but, like all things, we won’t make progress without practice.


    I’m trying to see like Jesus, and I hope you do too.



** Preview to my next installation on Letters From the Nest: I’m thinking hard about this word “trying.” Is it a copout, or is it a recognition of potential growth?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back To School Meanies

 Letter From the Nest August 15, 2025 https://open.substack.com/pub/lettersfromthenest/p/back-to-school?r=48qui&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web One August, more than twenty years ago, at an evening book club discussion, my “older” friends (now I look back and know those women were the age I am now), were discussing the woes and triumphs of back-to-school season. One woman was anticipating her youngest child’s senior year of high school. She said, “For more than two decades, our lives have revolved around the school district’s academic calendar. I don’t know how I will plan my life without knowing about school breaks or holidays.” I remember her bittersweet tone as she anticipated freedom from school schedule constraints but also mourned how those constraints guided her choices. What would she do? Other women joined the discussion, wondering if their kids would have good teachers, if they’d be able to balance volunteering in the classroom, how to streamline school supply pu...

My Legacy Stinks

 Letters from the Nest https://lettersfromthenest.substack.com/p/my-legacy-stinks Lately, I have been asking you, “What will you do to make Sunday special?” This is me encouraging you in your worship without giving you a prescribed list of things to do. One thing I do differently on Sundays is that I read a Sunday book that’s “different” than the fiction I read during the week. Usually, it’s a religious book, but sometimes it’s an inspiring biography or narrative nonfiction with an uplifting theme. My Sunday book for the past few months has been “Both Things Are True,” by Kate Holbrook. This collection of essays explores a range of topics, including faith, forgiveness, women’s roles, trials, history, and more. Each chapter contains a dichotomy that fuels the discussion. For example, the chapter on forgiveness explores both the concepts of forgetting and remembering. Last Sunday, I began reading the chapter entitled "The Weight of Legacy," in which she discusses the dichotomy ...

Lyme Disease??

Let me just preface this by saying that I am soooo grateful for good health insurance. I have been to the Dr. for the kids lately so often, that I am embarrassed that they recognize our family when we walk in the door. So, here's Ricky's story. A couple of weeks ago he was extremely sick. He had a fever for over a week, complained that he couldn't move his legs, and ended up with an awful looking rash all over his body. We went to the Dr. 2 times for this. The first time, she said, it was a virus and it should run its course. When Ricky was getting worse, instead of better, we took him back in to a quick clinic where the nurse diagnosed him with strep (even though the short test was negative). Well, after a priesthood blessing and antibiotics (which we discovered later that he didn't even need to take--and in fact they may have made him feel worse), he got better. Then, last week, I discovered a new, crazy rash on his legs which continued to grow, turn purple on the in...