Skip to main content

A Real Update

 It's about time for a real what-have-we-been-up-to update. In spite of intentions to do this monthly, I cheated the last few months with essays and a book post. A lot has happened since February. Pictures are usually better than words. And, in pictures, you can't hear any of the fighting. :)

Brooklyn and Sean finished up their winter basketball seasons. All of us had fun going to the games. Andrew and Ricky, especially, liked jumping on the court to play half-time one-on-one even if they might have made enemies with a staff member who didn't like them on the court as non-paying participants.




We traveled to Washington for Spring Break. Some of the kids and I explored the beaches while Rick, Ricky, and Andrew spent time at Planet Fitness lifting weights. 




We took many trips to the park by Grandma and Grandpa's house. The zip line is always a hit.

The kids also like playing Wii Sports and Mario Brothers on Grandpa's gaming system.
Brooklyn and Gavin had fun with the Easter decorations. They lined up all of the noise-making bunnies and chicks and played them all at once.
Another trip to another beach.



The kids also made pajama pants with Grandma and designed and printed t-shirts and sweatshirts.

The weekend after getting back, Ricky had two back-to-back shifts at the Washington DC temple. I drove him there and enjoyed a day of sunshine, spring blossoms, and my first visit to Capitol Hill.






Only a couple of weeks after this trip, we got on the road again to meet Emily and Logan in Canada for the great 2024 Eclipse. I think that deserves its own post, so I'll end this one with a few of my favorite random pictures from the last few months. Emily was lamenting that I don't share as many funny stories on our blog anymore. Mostly, it's because very little kids say funny things, so they make it easy, but maybe I'm also not finding the day-to-day stresses of older kids as funny. What's funny about Sean not going to school?


But here are a few funny things. No words. Just pictures.



Last, this next picture isn't funny. Rick and I have had a lot of difficult conversations about parenting, life, personal and spiritual development, and on and on. Both of us want to do the best we possibly can for each other and for ourselves, but sometimes we don't agree on what is "the best." These sticky notes on my computer screen help me keep hope and perspective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back To School Meanies

 Letter From the Nest August 15, 2025 https://open.substack.com/pub/lettersfromthenest/p/back-to-school?r=48qui&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web One August, more than twenty years ago, at an evening book club discussion, my “older” friends (now I look back and know those women were the age I am now), were discussing the woes and triumphs of back-to-school season. One woman was anticipating her youngest child’s senior year of high school. She said, “For more than two decades, our lives have revolved around the school district’s academic calendar. I don’t know how I will plan my life without knowing about school breaks or holidays.” I remember her bittersweet tone as she anticipated freedom from school schedule constraints but also mourned how those constraints guided her choices. What would she do? Other women joined the discussion, wondering if their kids would have good teachers, if they’d be able to balance volunteering in the classroom, how to streamline school supply pu...

My Legacy Stinks

 Letters from the Nest https://lettersfromthenest.substack.com/p/my-legacy-stinks Lately, I have been asking you, “What will you do to make Sunday special?” This is me encouraging you in your worship without giving you a prescribed list of things to do. One thing I do differently on Sundays is that I read a Sunday book that’s “different” than the fiction I read during the week. Usually, it’s a religious book, but sometimes it’s an inspiring biography or narrative nonfiction with an uplifting theme. My Sunday book for the past few months has been “Both Things Are True,” by Kate Holbrook. This collection of essays explores a range of topics, including faith, forgiveness, women’s roles, trials, history, and more. Each chapter contains a dichotomy that fuels the discussion. For example, the chapter on forgiveness explores both the concepts of forgetting and remembering. Last Sunday, I began reading the chapter entitled "The Weight of Legacy," in which she discusses the dichotomy ...

Lyme Disease??

Let me just preface this by saying that I am soooo grateful for good health insurance. I have been to the Dr. for the kids lately so often, that I am embarrassed that they recognize our family when we walk in the door. So, here's Ricky's story. A couple of weeks ago he was extremely sick. He had a fever for over a week, complained that he couldn't move his legs, and ended up with an awful looking rash all over his body. We went to the Dr. 2 times for this. The first time, she said, it was a virus and it should run its course. When Ricky was getting worse, instead of better, we took him back in to a quick clinic where the nurse diagnosed him with strep (even though the short test was negative). Well, after a priesthood blessing and antibiotics (which we discovered later that he didn't even need to take--and in fact they may have made him feel worse), he got better. Then, last week, I discovered a new, crazy rash on his legs which continued to grow, turn purple on the in...