Skip to main content

First Week in Tandil Argentina

 September 5, 2022

Dang, it's been forever since I  last emailed all of you! It's been a crazy ride. There is so much to say, but we will see if I have enough time to say everything. Honestly, I don't know where to start, but I guess I'll start from inside the MTC.

When I last emailed all of you, I was, I think, on my second to last week at the MTC. So I guess I started my last week with a bunch of classes. But after these classes, I would usually be able to go to the tienda and shop and get snacks and things, but apparently, this week was different because when I used my card, the cashier told me basically that I was broke. Which I was. I only had like Ocho pesos left which is nothing here in Mexico. So after that, I asked my companion, haha, and he helped me get some food. So after that crazy experience, nothing happened that week except that we were told how everything would go down when we flew out that next Monday. So after we said goodbye to everyone, we went to sleep that Sunday because Monday morning, I had to get up at four to catch a bus to an airport so I could go to Argentina. So anyways, I got up at four and headed to the airport; we had tons of time before our flight, so a couple of buddies and I decided to get some food for breakfast. While on the hunt for food, we found caffeine, and as many of you know, I love caffeine. So what did I do? I stopped and got a monster and a Redbull, and no, I did not drink them the same day; they were separate days. Anyways after finding the jackpot, I went and got a doughnut  for breakfast. And then, I headed to my terminal for my flight.
Again we waited and waited because our flight wasn't until later. During this waiting time, a bunch of elders gathered around a piano and sang church songs for people to hear, and yes, I was a part of that. The cool thing was it helped us talk to tons of people, and we were able to hand out books of Mormon, so that was super cool because the missionary work felt so real. I love missionary work. It isn't easy, yes, but it's so worth it. After that, we got on the plane and went to Argentina. When we got to Argentina, we stayed at this nice hotel. I don't know if it was that nice, but it was nice enough because it had a bed and a bathroom with a shower, so I consider that super nice. Anyways i was knocked out after i took a warm hot shower. The next day I got up and dressed and decided to look around outside and see where I was currently in Buenos aires. It looked like the states but rundown, but that's ok because I loved it anyways. As I was looking out, I noticed people had nice shoes, or at least people had shoes, and I wasn't expecting that at all because I thought I was going to a place that was so poor but boy, was I wrong. After looking at people for like ten minutes, I decided that I would try out the culture and use a bidet. It's like a thing you use after you go number 2 anyways, so i do it.
I went in, and I did my business, and then I got on the bidet, and here in Argentina, it's all flipped. The cold is hot, and the hot is the cold, so I turn on the cold in America. At first, it felt amazing but then, all of a sudden, I had scorching hot water spraying my behind, and it hurt so bad I can't even describe it, so I sprang off the bidet and quickly turned it off. That day I learned never to use a bidet again. Afterward, I hopped on a bus to my flight to Bahia Blanca! It took about two hours, but I got here, and it's amazing. I love the culture, and I love the food. I currently live like six hours out of the main part of my mission in a city called Tandil, and it's super-rich here because people come here to retire from Buenos aires.
Anyway, I got here the first day and went shopping with my new companion Elder Dixson. By the way, he's amazing. He's a great Trainor and a really funny guy. ok, back to my first day, so elder Dixson and I walk into our look-alike Walmart and pick up food and a drink they have here called Matte always as we are checking out, the cashier notices that we are from the USA. Hence, he asked us if we could help him get married in the USA so he could get a green card. We tell him we can't but that we will have an English class soon that could help him differently. So I guess we will see what happens there, but ya. Well, I have to get going, but I will try to share many more crazy stories next week!



mucho amor
Elder Mergenthaler

BTW the video is me trying Matte for the first time.

Ps: remember the lord is watching out for you and that he loves and cares for you and i will try to get more photos we shall see tho!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back To School Meanies

 Letter From the Nest August 15, 2025 https://open.substack.com/pub/lettersfromthenest/p/back-to-school?r=48qui&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web One August, more than twenty years ago, at an evening book club discussion, my “older” friends (now I look back and know those women were the age I am now), were discussing the woes and triumphs of back-to-school season. One woman was anticipating her youngest child’s senior year of high school. She said, “For more than two decades, our lives have revolved around the school district’s academic calendar. I don’t know how I will plan my life without knowing about school breaks or holidays.” I remember her bittersweet tone as she anticipated freedom from school schedule constraints but also mourned how those constraints guided her choices. What would she do? Other women joined the discussion, wondering if their kids would have good teachers, if they’d be able to balance volunteering in the classroom, how to streamline school supply pu...

My Legacy Stinks

 Letters from the Nest https://lettersfromthenest.substack.com/p/my-legacy-stinks Lately, I have been asking you, “What will you do to make Sunday special?” This is me encouraging you in your worship without giving you a prescribed list of things to do. One thing I do differently on Sundays is that I read a Sunday book that’s “different” than the fiction I read during the week. Usually, it’s a religious book, but sometimes it’s an inspiring biography or narrative nonfiction with an uplifting theme. My Sunday book for the past few months has been “Both Things Are True,” by Kate Holbrook. This collection of essays explores a range of topics, including faith, forgiveness, women’s roles, trials, history, and more. Each chapter contains a dichotomy that fuels the discussion. For example, the chapter on forgiveness explores both the concepts of forgetting and remembering. Last Sunday, I began reading the chapter entitled "The Weight of Legacy," in which she discusses the dichotomy ...

Lyme Disease??

Let me just preface this by saying that I am soooo grateful for good health insurance. I have been to the Dr. for the kids lately so often, that I am embarrassed that they recognize our family when we walk in the door. So, here's Ricky's story. A couple of weeks ago he was extremely sick. He had a fever for over a week, complained that he couldn't move his legs, and ended up with an awful looking rash all over his body. We went to the Dr. 2 times for this. The first time, she said, it was a virus and it should run its course. When Ricky was getting worse, instead of better, we took him back in to a quick clinic where the nurse diagnosed him with strep (even though the short test was negative). Well, after a priesthood blessing and antibiotics (which we discovered later that he didn't even need to take--and in fact they may have made him feel worse), he got better. Then, last week, I discovered a new, crazy rash on his legs which continued to grow, turn purple on the in...